16 January 2008

American Potato Salad

American Potato Salad (with title)
You might think I'm not the type corny enough to sing "Summer Nights," (er, from Grease, young friends) you'd be wrong. All I need is someone to harmonize with and a whole bunch of friends to sing the "Tell me more, tell me more" part. I don't even need alcohol to pull through. Ahem. Anyway, this meal is a few months old. But don't worry, we ate it that day. I haven't been feeling putting it up because I am such a photography idiot and for some reason, the potato salad, which I should have focused and found a way to present well, doesn't look like the star in this picture. I was probably not thinking very clearly that day. So, I didn't have the appetite to post the picture until now, when food posts are very scarce due to my self-imposed diet. Don't worry, though: my brother's birthday is on Monday and I have planned a cake that has not made its way into the interwebs yet. Ooh! I'm so excited! A net-virgin cake! (Actually, there is only one mention of it on the internet, and it's on a review of the book I took it from. There's not even a picture.) Thanks for sticking around, though. Sadly for my diet, checking out my blog's statistics? The desserts are the most-visited items on my blog (except for the Honeycomb Canneloni-- and how could it not, frankly-- but even that's not on top). The only way this can work out for me is if my desserts magically have no fat and sugar in them. But, dear reader, I want to be sure each recipe I post at least tastes good, har har.

This is from a pleasant Sunday lunch I prepared last November. There is really nothing like a hotdog (er, Schublig) stuffed with cheese and wrapped with bacon, balanced with a refreshingly tart potato salad. My mom says it is the best potato salad she's ever tasted (I agree). The secret? Positive thinking! No, it's celery.

American Potato Salad

  • 2 pounds (900g, or 3-4 medium) russet (baking, starchy) potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes

  • 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar (I used cider vinegar-- it's all we had but it's milder)

  • 1 medium celery rib, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)

  • 1 small red onion, minced

  • 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish

  • 1/2 cup (75g) mayonnaise

  • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard or 3/4 teaspoon powdered (dry) mustard (preferred)

  • 3/4 teaspoon celery seed

  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

  • optional: 2 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes

In a large saucepan, cover the potato cubes with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon salt, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender (about 8 minutes). Drain them and toss gently in a large bowl with vinegar; let stand 20 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together the remaining ingredients (except the eggs, if using) in a small bowl. Toss the potatoes (and eggs) in the dressing gently using a rubber spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled (about 1 hour). Can be covered and refrigerated for up to a day.

blog comments powered by Disqus