(Yay! We have a couple of new food blog indexers to fill in the void left by Tastespotting. Please visit RecipeMuncher and FoodGawker and fulfill your daily quota for food pornography.)
Here we have part of the lunch I prepared last fathers' day. It's a hash (you know, a mix of meat and cubed vegetables) from Fine Cooking magazine, and it's not only extremely easy, but also surprisingly good. So easy, in fact, that I turned the heat on too high at the start and totally incinerated the onions. Sigh. The mistakes you're still able to make after more than a full year of learning cooking. BLEAAAGH. My parents had a laugh, though, and my mom said, "sunog na yung sibuyas, masarap pa rin!" (the onions are already burned, yet it's still delicious!) Ah, well. Can't argue with the results. What's also great about it is that I was able to use up a few things sitting in the fridge which I had to use ASAP (apples, sausage, thyme). High marks all around. (recipe WAY below)
Lovely Jen of Use Real Butter invited me to answer a meme. Now I am totally insecure because my answers really aren't up to par with others', haha!
1) What were you doing ten years ago?
I was 16 and just starting college, having fun with Anton and Bulit. On my first day I met my still close frenemy JC (oh, shut up JC-- not like you're reading this, even if I've told you a million times to read my blog).
2) What are five non-work things on my to-do list for today?
1) study (is that work?)
2) work out
3) buy some (sweet-related) groceries
4) finish this post
5) watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report
3) What snacks do you enjoy?
1) Salt and Black Pepper Kettle Chips (Crisps)
3) Burgers and Fries (Chips), milkshakes
5) FINE, fruit! I'm not totally unhealthy, you know.
4) What would you do if you were a billionaire?
1) set up my own production company and host a cooking/traveling show. That specific enough? Maybe even a talk show! Watch out Tyra, I'mma getchu!
2) Build a school and a hospital
5) Where have you lived?
1) Quezon City (2 different places here), Philippines
2) Manila (3 different places there, one year with roomies, 4 years alone)
6) What jobs have you had?
1) medical intern (for those of you who don't think it's a job... We're not friends anymore)
2) math tutor
3) research assistant
Sweet Deeba of Passionate About Baking also tagged me. She was very apologetic about it, and I don't know why since I'm not averse to answering memes, I just am afraid what you guys think of me answering them (probably why I don't tag anyone either).
1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATRE? Iron Man
2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING? Crush USMLE Step 2
3) FAVOURITE BOARD GAME? Scrabble/ Backgammon
4) FAVOURITE MAGAZINE? Print, Creative Review, Dish, Australian Gourmet Traveller (Sorry I can't decide)
5) FAVOURITE SMELLS? Mild vanilla in custard, fresh flowers, trees, bread
6) FAVOURITE SOUNDS? To quote Deeba: "The chirping of birds early in the morning, the pitter-patter of rain..." Ditto. The piano also ranks.
7) WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD? That I've wronged someone
8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE? I love my bed!
9) FAVOURITE FAST FOOD PLACE? McDonald's. Come on now.
10) FUTURE CHILDS NAME? I'm naming them after my blogger friends. I can't wait for little Tartelette Manguerra to come out. Kidding. I usually think about normal names like Kate, Alex, Jason, Sarah, but it's all up in the air, as expected.
11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—’IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D’ See above! (No, that's not what I'd do, I meant read what I said above)
12) DO U DRIVE FAST? No!!!
13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL? NO!!!
14) STORMS–COOL OR SCARY? Cool, but I do think about the poor people on the street that need a roof over their heads.
15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR? Uh, they're all my parents' cars.
16) FAVOURITE DRINK? Water (boring!). Raspberry iced tea.
17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD… Get my life in order!
18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI? Yes
19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOUR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE? Black (boring!)
20) NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS U HAVE LIVED IN? See above
21) FAVOURITE SPORTS TO WATCH? Martial Arts, Ice Hockey, Figure Skating (through the spaces between my fingers)
22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? One of the nicest, kindest bloggers in the blogaverse
23) WHATS UNDER YOUR BED? Free weights
24) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN?? Hmmmm... Why not.
25) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL? I like to do different things, both of which I enjoy. Cooking/ photographing in the morning. Studying/ writing at night.
26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP? Sunny side up. But I do cut out the yolks most of the time (boring!)
27) FAVOURITE PLACE TO RELAX? My own bed.
28) FAVOURITE PIE? Any kind. Probably not apple, as I'm sick of it.
29) FAVOURITE ICECREAM FLAVOUR? Raspberry ripple
Sausage and Apple Sauté
This recipe originally called for an added 1-1/2 lbs (700g) of cubed russet potatoes to be added with the apples, but I didn't have any on hand and we had plenty of starch in the rest of the meal, so I skipped it.
Heat half the oil in a large skilleto ver medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and onion and cook, breaking up the sausage, until the sausage is golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Park the sausage and onions into a separate dish.
Add the remaining oil in the skillet, then add the apples. Cook until the apples are golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the ketchup, mustard, thyme, parsley, and water in a small bowl. Return the sausage and onions to the skillet and stir in the ketchup mixture. Cook until the hash has browned nicely, about another 5 minutes. Season to taste with more salt (which I didn't add) and pepper (which I did) before serving.